I’ve never set myself to posting every month for the kids when they were babies, but it really is the easiest way to keep tabs on their growth and milestones. I didn’t blog hardly any with Abe, mainly because I thought I’d never forget when he accomplished what. Yeah right! With April I realized the folly of that logic and was much better about blogging. When I did her baby book last month all the blogging I had done made it a breeze! I’m working on Abe’s now and it’s much more difficult. The experience is definitely encouraging me to make the time to blog for Andersen. So this may be boring to some of you, but nobody is forcing you to read it. =)
A couple accomplishments that this month brought, in no particular order:
1. Andersen found his toes. Yum!
2. Car rides are no longer a scream fest; not always silent, but more often than not.
3. I’ve caught him staring at his hand while he opens and closes it. I always love when babies do this; it’s like watching their brain work.
4. We started “solid” foods. First avocado (just one time, he took it okay), then banana and then infant cereal (even a couple Cheerios on Saturday). Banana is his favorite and he’ll eat half of one pretty easily; last night I tried the cereal again and it went well. I don’t have to fight at all for him to open his mouth and take another bite; so nice! It may be too early to tell, but I’m hoping that what he lacks in good sleep habits he’ll make up for in easy eating! Man it would be nice not to have to fight at least one baby to get them to eat. (We should maybe be doing solids more often and on a schedule, but, well, it’s a whole lot more work than just nursing him. Plus, he’s only just now 5 months, so there’s no rush.)
5. I’ve realized that while we aren’t short on pictures of Andersen, we don’t have many of him with me or Mike. So I’m trying to make a concerted effort to change that. It’s not going too well, but I’ve got a couple.
6. He’s easily my biggest baby. At his 4 month well check he was already a quarter inch longer than Abe was at 6 months. Well, two weeks after Andersen’s 4 month appointment I noticed his 6 month clothes were already fitting tight, so I measured him again. He’d grown a whole inch in those two weeks! He still fits in most 6m clothes (some barely), but he’s also wearing many 9m and 12m size rompers. Good grief! (I have a ton of super cute 18 month rompers from Abe and he just may get to wear them by then end of the summer!)
7. He rolls easily now, both back to belly and belly to back. Still not barrel rolling though.
8. Sleep continues to be our big issue. We’ll have some good nights and then some not-so-good nights. But we’re fully out of the chair, so anything really is an improvement. Last week there was actually one night when he slept from midnight until 6:30am – wow!!
9. I’m three for three now on my kids trying to suck their thumb while nursing. Along those lines, Andersen will often quiet and sooth with a “chew toy.” Often his red club, but I try to mix it up so he doesn’t get bored.
10. We’re getting some laughs, but we have to work for them. It sounds a bit like a growl; so funny! (see video below) He’s smiles super easy though and is very happy. People regularly comment how happy and smiley he is. He also lets others hold him much easier than he used to.